Treatment for Neck Pain
Neck is made up of vertebrae that extend from the skull to the upper torso. The neck—or cervical spine—is a coordinated network of nerves, bones, joints, and muscles directed by the brain and the spinal cord. It is designed for strength, stability, and nerve communication. The cervical spine is a marvelous and complex structure. It is capable of supporting a head weighing above 6.50 kg, while moving in several directions. No other region of the spine has such freedom of movement. Cervical discs absorb shock between the bones. The bones, ligaments, and muscles of your neck support your head and allow for motion.
This complex structure includes 7 small vertebrae, inter vertebral discs to absorb shock, joints, protect the spinal cord, 8 nerve roots, vascular elements, 32 muscles, and ligaments.
Other than above mentioned causative factors Ayurveda describes psychological factors like stress, grief, fear, anxiety, anger as major cause of neck pain.
The general line of treatment depending on aggravated condition should be focused on Vatakapha hara chikitsa, Sula hara chikitsa, Asthikshayajanya chikitsa and Naadi balya chikitsa. The following modalities are adopted for management of greeva graha :
· Shiro dhara (pouring a stream of medicated oil and buttermilk on the forehead while gently massaging the head).
· Shiro vasti (bathing the head with medicated oils by way of a cap-like apparatus).
· Nasyam (administration of medicated oil through the nose that cleanses the accumulated kapha toxins from the head and the neck area).
· Abhyangam (a whole body massage with herbal oils for harmonizing the body, mind, soul and the senses).
· Nadi swedana (medicated steam bath
· Patra pottali swedana (massaging with herbal leaf bundles).
· Shastika sali pinda swedana (a highly effective rejuvenation technique that uses a special kind of rice that is cooked, ties into bolus, and dipped into a herbal decoction and warm milk, later massaged all over the body).
· Greeva vasti (retaining medicament on the nape of neck to decrease the cervical spinal compression).
Apart from therapies, ayurvedic treatment for neck pain also includes medicines ranging from thailams, churnams, asavams, ghrithams, lehyams prepared from ayurvedic herbs such as rasna, dasamoola, aswadandha etc.
Doctor after assessing condition will make a treatment protocol most suited to the patient,