Back Pain Treatment
Back pain of some kind is experienced by over 80 percent adult population, modern medicine has only pain killers or surgery. both have tremendous side effects, Ayurveda on the other hand has numerous possibilities.
The back [from lower back of neck to the lower waist] is a remarkably well-engineered structure of interconnecting bones, joints, nerves, ligaments, and muscles all working together to provide support, strength, and flexibility. However, this complex structure also leaves the back susceptible to injury and pain.
To get to know back pains better, we can divide the entire structure in parts, namely:
· Upper back
· Lower back
Back pain is being classified as leading cause of disability worldwide. Signs and symptoms of back pain may include:
· Muscle ache
· Shooting or stabbing pain
· Pain that radiates down your leg
· Limited flexibility or range of motion of the back
Back pain often develops without a specific cause. Conditions that usually leads to back ache are:
· Muscle or ligament strain. Repeated heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement may strain back muscles and spinal ligaments. If you’re in poor physical condition, constant strain on your back may cause painful muscle spasms.
· Bulging or ruptured disks. Disks act as cushions between the bones (vertebrae) in your spine. The soft material inside a disk can bulge or rupture and press on a nerve. However, you can have a bulging or ruptured disk without back pain. Disk disease is often found incidentally when you undergo spine X-rays for some other reason.
· Arthritis. Osteoarthritis can affect the lower back. In some cases arthritis in the spine can lead to a narrowing of the space around the spinal cord, a condition called spinal stenosis.
· Skeletal irregularities. Back pain can occur if your spine curves abnormally. Scoliosis, a condition in which your spine curves to the side, also may lead to back pain, but generally only if the scoliosis is severe.
· Osteoporosis. Your spine’s vertebrae can develop compression fractures if your bones become porous and brittle.
· In females : other than above mentioned reasons, C-section deliveries, leucorrhea or uterine issues can cause acute to chronic back ache in females
Ayurveda management :
· Oral medications : poly-herbal/herbo-mineral formulations in form of tablets/powder/syrups/decoctions/oils are given orally as per the identified underlying cause of pain
· Panchakarma: there are various therapies that are used either individually or in combination, as:
– Patra pind sweda
– Nadi sweda
– Kati basti/local basti on effected area of the back
– Internal basti /enema
We at ISIC – Belance Traditional medicine have a lot of experience and excellent products to support. This is our main area of expertise.